White Fillings in Whitby, ON
A New Way To Seamlessly Strengthen Your Smile
Fillings are a dentistry technique used to seal gaps, cracks, holes, and crevices in teeth. While fillings are highly effective at strengthening and preserving damaged teeth, traditional metal fillings, like gold and silver (amalgam) often present problems. Fortunately, at Dentistry On Dundas, our dentists offer durable, an attractive alternative that eliminates many of the problems posed by metal fillings. What Are White Fillings? White fillings, also known as composite or tooth-colored fillings, are dental materials used for the same restorative purposes as metal fillings. The main difference is that instead of metal, white fillings use a porcelain-like material that bonds to the tooth. The lack of metal presents a number of advantages for patients who want a functional, long-lasting solution to dental damage.
The Benefits of White Fillings
Metal filings often present issues such as:
- Galvanic shock
- Allergic reactions
- Damaging more of your natural enamel
In contrast, some of the advantages that make white fillings a highly sought after option include:
- Insulation — The lack of metal in white fillings protects your mouth from galvanic shock, which occurs when a current passes between metal fillings with different compositions and shocks your mouth.
- Temperature Resistance — Unlike metals, which expand and contract when exposed to hot and cold, white fillings barely react to temperature. This means there’s much less pressure acting on the surrounding tooth, preventing pain and sensitivity.
- Enamel Preservation — White fillings require less of your tooth’s natural enamel be removed in preparation for the filling.
- Natural Appearance — White fillings are customized to look just like your natural teeth, allowing for a seamless, subtle restoration.
- Stain Resistance — The porcelain-like material used in white fillings is non-porous, making it resistant to stains. This also means your fillings won’t darken your teeth over time.
- Quick Setting — A special blue light will allow our dentists to cure your filling in seconds.
The White Filling Procedure
Your Initial Consultation
While you may be eager to take advantage of what white fillings have to offer, you’ll first need to undergo a consultation with one of our skilled dentists. During your consultation, they’ll provide a thorough examination of your mouth, review your medical history, and discuss your smile goals with you. They’ll also have a conversation with you about costs and possible financing options.
If your dentist has decided that you’re an eligible candidate for white fillings, we’ll prepare your tooth by applying a local anesthetic to ensure you don’t feel any pain during the procedure. After we’ve ensured your anesthetic is working properly, we’ll remove any damaged, decayed, or infected material from the tooth as needed. Once the tooth is clean, we’ll proceed to placement.
Placing Your White Fillings
Your dentist will apply your filling in layers, using a special blue light to harden them as they go. The doctor will shape and polish your white filling to ensure it matches your natural teeth, restoring the beauty and function of your tooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do white fillings last?
White fillings tend to last about ten years with proper care. This means practicing regular oral hygiene by brushing and flossing twice a day along with visiting Dentistry On Dundas for biannual dental cleanings exams.
Is my white filling guaranteed to stay white as long as I have it?
White fillings are stain-resistant, but they may gather stains around the edges due to factors such as:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Regularly eating and drinking substances known to stain teeth
- Using tobacco products over an extended period
Avoiding these behaviors and regularly visiting your dentist at our Whitby, ON office will help you keep your white fillings pristine for as long as possible.
Will getting white fillings hurt?
We’ll be sure to apply a local anesthetic and make sure it’s working before your procedure begins. After your procedure, you’re likely to experience some minor sensitivity, but this should fade after a few days. Any pain or sensitivity you feel should also be easy to manage with over-the-counter medication.
If you’re still experiencing sensitivity after a few days, or your pain isn’t easy to manage, call our Whitby office by dialing (905) 666-1555 and book an appointment as soon as possible. A friendly staff member will get back to you as soon as they can.
Can I eat immediately after getting my white fillings?
Your white fillings harden and bond to your teeth in seconds, so you won’t have to worry about food potentially damaging them. We do recommend that you wait until your anesthetic has worn off before eating. This helps you avoid biting down too hard and potentially damaging your lips, cheeks, tongue, or mouth.
White Fillings Offer Beautiful, Comfortable Restoration
White fillings can discreetly and comfortably save your teeth from further damage. With white fillings, our dentists can give you a healthy and brilliant smile you can take pride in.
To learn more about how white fillings can beautifully and comfortably strengthen your teeth and restore your smile, contact us at our Whitby, ON office. Dial (905) 666-1555 or book an appointment by filling out the contact form below so we can help you achieve the smile of your dreams!