Periodontal Treatment in Whitby, ON
Periodontal Disease in Whitby
Periodontal disease in Whitby, also known as Gum disease is an inflammatory condition in the mouth that affects the gum and bone that support the teeth; if left untreated, it can lead to tooth loss.
There are several risk factors for having Periodontal disease, which include:
Age, Smoking or tobacco use, poor nutrition and obesity, genetics, stress, medications, clenching or grinding your teeth and other systemic conditions which affect the body’s ability to fight this infection, such as Diabetes, Cardiovascular disease and Rheumatoid Arthritis
In general, Periodontal disease can be preventable, if you follow these habits:
Brush your teeth at least twice per day (even including your tongue), floss at least once per day, rinse with mouthwash which can reduce the amount of plaque build up, get an annual Comprehensive Periodontal Exam (CPE) from a dental professional. Identifying symptoms of gum disease early is key to keeping your gums and your teeth healthy.
For more information, check out these links:
Cosmetic Treatment in Whitby
Many of the procedures involving the gum and bone can be considered plastic surgery. Perio plastic surgery can improve many different situations such as:
- Gummy smiles – when an abnormal amount of gum tissue appears when someone smiles. This is usually corrected with crown lengthening.
- Uneven gum tissue height. This is usually corrected with crown lengthening.
- Missing teeth – this can be corrected with fixed bridges or with implants.
- Defects in the bone when tooth loss occurs there is typically a loss of the bone that used to surround the previous tooth. The resulting defect can be treated to make it look like the bone had never been lost. This treatment is known as ridge augmentation.
- Combination therapy when just the periodontal procedure is not sufficient, restorative procedures are needed to obtain the proper alignment, shape, and color of the teeth.